Why Hair Health Matters
Just like every part of our bodies, taking care of our hair is something that we need to take seriously. You might be wondering what steps you can take to keep your hair healthy, and that’s what we’re passionate about at Prose. When it comes to our custom hair care products, we truly believe that every individual’s hair is a personal journey that can be a focal point of your daily routine.
Hair health matters because your hair is a part of you. Your lifestyle can have negative impacts on your hair, from stress to over-exercise and everything in between, so it’s important to let yourself and your hair recover from that. By doing so, you can keep your hair fuller for longer, help to slow hair loss, and even help keep your hair from going grey. From our products to our ingredients to our story, we prioritize you so that you can prioritize the healthiness of your hair.
Hair is a complex part of our bodies that borrows its building blocks from other materials in our bodies. These include keratin (the stuff that makes up our fingernails) and collagen (the most commonly found protein in the human body, which also makes up bones and muscles).
However, its complexity is why taking care of your hair is so important and can be difficult. Take the right steps to make sure that your hair is well taken care of because it does truly matter.
How To Stimulate Hair Growth Naturally
On its own, your hair grows about half an inch per month, so about six inches a year. While some people’s hair grows faster or slower depending on genetics or their age, the 6 inch per year estimate is close enough for the majority of people. However, there are several factors that can contribute to the rate at which your hair grows, including diet, health, and routine. If you’re worried about hair growth, this article is for you: read on to find out exactly what our tips are for natural hair growth.
What you eat can have a huge impact on your hair’s health, and while some foods can contribute to hair loss or decay, others can help stimulate your hair’s growth as well. Additionally, the products that you use in your everyday hair care routine, whether you’re in the shower or just styling your hair before you start your day, can play a big part as well.
Best Foods to Eat For Hair Growth
If you’re not looking to completely revitalize your routine with new products, you’re in luck because there are subtle lifestyle changes you can make in order to help your hair grow faster. One of the easiest changes you can make for stimulating new hair growth is a change in your diet.
It’s important to note that changing your diet may not be a cure-all, so always be sure to speak to your doctor if you suspect your slow hair growth has to do with an iron deficiency or something else that might be more serious.
Because your hair is made up of a complex blend of proteins called keratin, it follows that a balanced diet with enough protein and key nutrients would definitely be beneficial to your hair growing faster. Here are some of the best foods to eat to help promote new hair growth.
- Eggs: Believe it or not, eggs are not only one of the best foods to eat for hair growth; they are also one of the best sources of protein. And like mentioned above, since protein is such a huge part of your hair’s growth process, any foods that are rich in good proteins (like biotin) are awesome. Biotin is a B Vitamin that may actually additionally help to boost hair growth. And we’d like to note that both egg yolks and egg whites are good for you, despite some common misconceptions, so if you have a biotin deficiency, this may be the food for you.
- Brazil Nuts: Brazil nuts are another source of protein, but they also include vitamin E and selenium, another compound that may stimulate hair growth as well. You can get similar effects with other legumes like lentils and soybeans if Brazil nuts are not your top choice for selenium-rich foods.
- Greek Yogurt: Not only does Greek yogurt have tons of health benefits and probiotics, but it’s also absolutely delicious! It’s crammed full of nutrients and is an excellent source of protein, which will help your hair grow faster and stay full for longer. It also includes pantothenic acid, or Vitamin B5, which is an ingredient found in many haircare products and may help against hair thinning or hair loss.
- Fatty Fish: Any fish like mackerel and sardines that include Omega-3 acids and other amino acids can be great for keeping your hair healthy. In addition, Omega-3s have been reported to be beneficial for the skin and eyes. While foods rich in Omega-3s may not specifically promote hair growth, they do help keep your hair healthy, which does, in some ways, affect how much your hair will grow. And because fish are a great source of protein, eating fatty fish definitely can’t hurt.
- Berries: When it comes to delicious foods with health benefits, berries often top the charts. Not only are they loaded with antioxidants, but they’re also high in vitamins and contain fairly healthy natural sugars. Some berries are especially high in vitamin C, which aids in collagen production and helps to naturally stimulates hair growth.
- Avocados: Avocados and avocado oil have also been linked to hair growth and hair health. In fact, avocado oil’s fatty acids are rich in several nutrients that improve your hair’s health and lead to a reduction in breakage, which naturally helps hold onto new growth as well.
Other honorable mentions when it comes to hair growth include sweet potatoes, which are rich in vitamin A and beta-carotene, healthy fats like the omega-3 fatty acids present in flax seeds and chia seeds, and dark leafy greens, which are full of vitamin D and folate. Bear in mind that before making any major changes to your diet, you may want to speak to a nutritionist to make sure that you’re on the right track for your body’s needs.
While making these lifestyle changes may not guarantee instant hair growth, these changes in how you eat or how you care for your hair will definitely improve your hair’s health in the long run, which will eventually manifest itself in stronger hair and more growth. Not to mention that a healthy diet will likely help with your overall wellness.
If you want to help stimulate hair growth, give yourself your best chance by changing up your diet and lifestyle to something that suits your needs.