How to Use Hair Gel to Achieve the Perfect Hairstyle
Whether you’re looking for flexible hold or definition, there’s a hair gel that will work to give you the look that you desire. But, you have to make sure to choose the right type of gel for your hair type, while considering the look you’re trying to achieve.
Types of Hair Gel Products
Take some time to find the product that will work best for the length, type, and texture of your hair.
- Soft hold gel: Soft hold gel is suitable for fine hair because it doesn’t get too hard and leaves the hair very flexible and touchable, while still holding your style. It’s also a great product for wavy hair because it gives definition.
- Medium hold gel: Medium hold gel provides a slightly stronger hold than light hold but leaves the hair with some flexibility. People with thicker hair usually opt for medium hold gel because it leaves the hair with a lasting shine.
- Strong hold gel: For styles that require an all-day (and beyond!) hold, opt for strong hold styling gel. As the name suggests, strong hold gels keep your hair in place all day and typically leaves the hair firmer than other types of gel.
In addition to the hold, you also want to consider the consistency of the gel that will work best for your hair. You can choose between gel cream, spray gel, gel foam, or liquid gel. Each product is formulated to work with different hair types, so you’re sure to find one that will work for yours.
Do You Put Styling Gel in Wet or Dry Hair?
Hair gel works best on wet or damp hair. Starting with wet hair allows the gel to coat your hair, creating more definition as you achieve your desired hairstyle. The amount of gel you use depends on the length of your hair. Following the instructions on the product is important to prevent any flaking, breaking, or damage.
Hair Gel Hacks/Tips
Here are some tips and hacks for using hair gel:
- Avoid using hair gel on dirty or greasy hair.
- Start with a dime-sized amount of gel and add more slowly. It’s easier to add more gel than it is to take it away.
- Incorporating styling gel is great for wet-look hairstyles.
- Using too much gel on your hair can cause the product to flake.
- Using a blow dryer helps hair gel dry faster.
- Try different types of hair gel until you find the one that works for your hair.
Need help finding the perfect hair product for your hair type? Take the Prose hair consultation quiz to get your customized hair care products and supplements. It makes finding the perfect combination of products a breeze.
ONLY GOOD HAIR DAYS—
Think of us as your partner in haircare. Start with our innovative consultation.