As the saying goes, you want what you can’t have. Growing up with curly hair may have lent you to want straight hair. But, more and more people are embracing their curls and celebrating their beauty. Now, everyone with straight hair is desperately trying to curl and scrunch their hair to achieve the waves and volume that you have naturally. That being said, curly hair can still be a challenge, especially if you never learned to embrace it and treat it with respect. There’s really no better time to start than the present, and we are here to teach you how you can get your best natural curls through an amazing curl-friendly hair routine using plopping.
What Is “Hair Plopping”?
Hair plopping has been taking the Internet by storm thanks to apps like TikTok. But what is it, exactly? Hair plopping is a way to dry curly hair slowly and safely without using heat or disrupting your natural curls. It’s a great hands-off approach that will be a welcome alternative to those who are used to spending hours trying to tame their wild curls. Alternatively, hair plopping has actually led many who thought they had “straight hair” to learn that they really have curly hair! Obviously, this won’t work for you unless you really do have curly hair, but many people are just so used to using tons of brushing and heat on hair that can totally destroy natural curls, and their natural texture is lost or at least hidden. So you’d really be surprised how amazing your curly hair can look if you treat it correctly— and that’s where plopping comes into play.
How to Plop Your Hair?
Plopping your hair can truly revolutionize your life— if you do it correctly. Many people have tried other methods of drying their curly hair without heat and have ended up with big, puffy, unruly messes! If you follow these plopping instructions, you can achieve your best curly hair without any heat or stress on your end:
- Start out with a long sleeve cotton t-shirt. If you don’t have one on-hand, you could also try using a king-sized jersey pillowcase or a large cotton handkerchief— basically anything big enough and soft enough to hold all your hair without drying it out too much or being too rough that it creates frizz.
- The first real step to plopping actually begins while you’re still in the shower, washing and conditioning your hair. Wash your hair, apply conditioner, and comb your hair in the shower with the conditioner still in it. You should not brush your hair again throughout the rest of this process in order to achieve the best results.
- Next, prepare your freshly-washed hair with your favorite curl-friendly hair products like leave-in conditioner, oil, and curl cream. Comb these products through your hair with your fingers.
- If your hair is still dripping wet, squeeze out excess water from your hair with a soft cotton t-shirt before you plop it. Plopping is for damp hair— not wet hair!
- Place your t-shirt on a flat surface with the sleeve-end closest to you.
- Flip your head over and let your curls touch the middle of the shirt. Take the bottom edge of the shirt and place it over the back of your neck.
- Then, take the long sleeves of the shirt and tie them in a knot behind your head to secure the shirt.
- Tuck in any extra material (or curls) into the shirt so that everything is nice and secure.
- Keep your hair wrapped like this for at least 20 minutes. However, the longer, the better! Some people even keep it wrapped overnight so that it can completely dry.
- However, if you have limited time, you can unwrap after 20-30 minutes and use other methods to finish drying. One way to safely dry your curly hair is to use a hair diffuser attachment for your hairdryer. This attachment is amazing for curly hair because it disperses the harsh hot air from the hairdryer over a larger area and can help keep your natural curls keep their shape and keep them free of frizz! Another way to dry your curly hair is just to let it air dry without any additional brushing, heat, or products.
There are a few different methods of plopping, but this one’s our favorite. However, feel free to watch some YouTube video tutorials or play around with it yourself to find the method that best works for you. In addition, you may have to play around with the length of time you keep your hair plopped and your overall hair care routine and products to really achieve the curls of your dreams.
The Best Products and Routine for Curly Hair
Even though plopping is a great way to get amazing curls, it won’t really do much if you aren’t using the right products for curly hair in the right order. Thankfully, we are here to tell you everything you need to know to achieve the perfect curls with minimum effort:
- The first thing you need to know about curly hair is that you don’t have to wash it as often as you would straight hair. Many people assume that they need to wash their hair every day, but this is definitely not the case! Especially when it comes to curly hair as you really need to maintain your hair’s natural oils so that it can stay strong and healthy. That’s why we recommend washing your hair with a custom shampoo no more than twice a week. Obviously, this may not come easy to you if you’re used to washing your hair every single day. However, there are things you can do to train your hair to be less oily over time. It might not happen overnight, but it will be worth it when you can spend less time on your hair and have healthier hair as a result!
- Many people with curly hair are not using the right products. You should be using products made especially for curly hair. For example, Prose makes an amazing curl cream that helps enhance your natural curls and keep them free of annoying frizz thanks to amazing ingredients like Pequi oil, argan oil, flax seed extract, jojoba oil, and lilac extract. No matter what your hair type, you should always stick to natural ingredients — but this is especially true when it comes to curly hair that is easily weighed down by heavy, thick, and harsh additives. Prose only uses natural ingredients that help your hair and avoids things like sulfates, parabens, phthalates, alcohols, GMOs, and mineral oil.
- Once you have a good idea of what to look for in curl-friendly products, it’s time to actually tailor your perfect hair care routine. While in the shower, you obviously need shampoo and conditioner — but make sure to leave your conditioner on long enough for it to really work— at least five minutes. But for curly hair, one round of conditioner really isn’t enough. That’s why we also recommend that you use a leave-in conditioner as well as hair oil and a curl cream that will really help to nourish and enhance your curls so that they have an amazing shape and texture that don’t fall flat or gain frizz over time.
Now that you have the perfect routine nailed down with the perfect products, you can get to plopping to achieve the perfect curls literally overnight. It might take some time to get used to your new routine, but the results will be well worth it.