What Is “Hair Plopping”?
Hair plopping has been taking the Internet by storm thanks to apps like TikTok. But what is it, exactly? Hair plopping is a way to dry curly hair slowly and safely without using heat or disrupting your natural curls. It’s a great hands-off approach that will be a welcome alternative to those who are used to spending hours trying to style their curls. Hands off also means less friction and agitation for your hair. `
Alternatively, hair plopping has actually led many who thought they had “straight hair” to learn that they really have curly hair! Obviously, this won’t work for you unless you really do have curly hair, but many people are just so used to using tons of brushing and heat on hair that can totally destroy natural curls, and their natural texture is lost or at least hidden.
So you’d really be surprised how amazing your curly hair can look if you treat it correctly—and that’s where plopping comes into play.
How to Plop Your Hair?
Plopping your hair can truly revolutionize your life—if you do it correctly. Many people have tried other methods of drying their curly hair without heat and have not had any luck. If you follow these plopping instructions, you can achieve your best curly hair without any heat or stress on your end:
- Start out with a long sleeve cotton t-shirt. If you don’t have one on-hand, you could also try using a king-sized jersey pillowcase or a large cotton handkerchief— basically anything big enough and soft enough to hold all your hair without drying it out too much or being too rough that it creates unwanted frizz. If you use a piece of fabric that is too coarse or harsh, it could cause friction and lead to damage or split ends in your hair.
- The first real step to plopping actually begins while you’re still in the shower, washing and conditioning your hair. Wash your hair, apply conditioner, and comb your hair in the shower with the conditioner still in it. You can comb through your hair with a wide toothed comb or simply use your fingers. You should not brush your hair again throughout the rest of this process in order to achieve the best results.
- Next, prepare your freshly-washed hair with your favorite curl-friendly hair products like leave-in conditioner, oil, and curl cream. Comb these products through your hair with your fingers.
- If your hair is still dripping wet, squeeze out excess water from your hair with a soft cotton t-shirt before you plop it. Plopping is for damp hair— not wet hair!
- Place your t-shirt on a flat surface with the sleeve-end closest to you.
- Flip your head over and let your curls touch the middle of the shirt. Take the bottom edge of the shirt and place it over the back of your neck.
- Then, take the long sleeves of the shirt and tie them in a knot behind your head to secure the shirt.
- Tuck in any extra material (or curls) into the shirt so that everything is nice and secure.
- Keep your hair wrapped like this for at least 20 minutes. However, the longer, the better! Some people even keep it wrapped overnight so that it can completely dry.
- However, if you have limited time, you can unwrap after 20-30 minutes and use other methods to finish drying. One way to safely dry your curly hair is to use a hair diffuser attachment for your hairdryer. This attachment is amazing for curly hair because it disperses the harsh hot air from the hairdryer over a larger area and can help keep your natural curls keep their shape and keep them free of unwanted frizz! Another way to dry your curly hair is just to let it air dry without any additional brushing, heat, or products.
There are a few different methods of plopping, but this one’s our favorite. However, feel free to watch some YouTube video tutorials or play around with it yourself to find the method that best works for you. In addition, you may have to play around with the length of time you keep your hair plopped and your overall hair care routine and products to really achieve the curls of your dreams. These plopping tips could lead you in the right direction, but you could discover an even better method.
The Best Products and Routine for Curly Hair
Even though plopping is a great way to get amazing curls, it won’t really do much if you aren’t using the right products for curly hair in the right order. Thankfully, we are here to tell you everything you need to know to achieve the perfect curls with minimum effort:
The first thing you need to know about curly hair is that you don’t have to wash it as often as you would straight hair. Many people assume that they need to wash their hair every day, but this is definitely not the case! Especially when it comes to curly hair as you really need to maintain your hair’s natural oils so that it can stay strong and healthy.
That’s why we recommend washing your hair with a custom shampoo no more than twice a week. Obviously, this may not come easy to you if you’re used to washing your hair every single day. However, there are things you can do to train your hair to be less oily over time. It might not happen overnight, but it will be worth it when you can spend less time on your hair and have healthier hair as a result!
Many people with curly hair are not using the right products. You should be using products made especially for curly hair. For example, Prose makes an amazing curl cream that helps enhance your natural curls and keep them free of unwanted frizz thanks to amazing ingredients like Pequi oil, argan oil, flax seed extract, jojoba oil, and lilac extract.
This cream defines your natural texture—from waves to curls and coils—while keeping strands moisturized and free of unwanted frizz when used as a styler or for touch-ups. No matter what your hair type, you should always stick to natural ingredients—but this is especially true when it comes to curly hair that is easily weighed down by heavy, thick, and harsh additives. Prose only uses natural ingredients that help your hair and avoids things like sulfates, parabens, phthalates, alcohols, GMOs, and mineral oil.
Once you have a good idea of what to look for in curl-friendly products, it’s time to actually tailor your perfect hair care routine. While in the shower, you obviously need shampoo and conditioner—but make sure to leave your conditioner on long enough for it to really work— at least five minutes.
But for curly hair, one round of conditioner really isn’t enough. That’s why we also recommend that you use a leave-in conditioner as well as hair oil and a curl cream that will really help to nourish and enhance your curls so that they have an amazing shape and texture that don’t fall flat or gain unwanted frizz over time.
Like we mentioned above, it’s smart to use products that are best for curls and custom made for you. Here’s additional information on our products that are best for curls:
Custom Leave-In Conditioner – Our leave-in conditioner is a moisturizing leave-in spray that smoothes and detangles flyaways, and ultimately leaves strands silky, glossy, and manageable. Use Prose custom leave-in conditioner with custom hair oil for an additional boost of moisture. Apply your leave-in conditioner to damp or dry hair, then seal in moisture with hair oil to avoid greasy residue.
Custom Curl Cream – For our custom curl cream, we recommend applying your customized curl cream to wet or damp hair for the greatest curl definition. To smooth and define, rake downwards with your fingers or a wide-tooth comb, then scrunch towards the roots to create body and form. Your personalized curl cream may be made in accordance with the Curly Girl Method. It’s devoid of alcohol, sulfates, and parabens, and you may request a fragrance-free formulation during your consultation. Although a silicone-free version is available, custom curl lotion contains water-dispersible silicone.
Custom Hair Oil – Our custom premium oil preserves strands and smooths away unwanted frizz when used as a treatment before washing or as a styling product. Your customized formula could include ingredients such as rice bran oil (split end repair), beech oil (moisture), or cucumber oil (hair health).
Also, all Prose products are color-safe, and if you mention color treatments during your consultation, your customized products may include extra color-protecting elements. You never have to fear, we’ve got you and your hair in safe hands.
So there you go, that’s how you plop hair! Now that you have the perfect routine nailed down with the perfect products, you can get to plopping to achieve your perfect curls literally overnight. It might take some time to get used to your new routine, but the results will be well worth it. At Prose, we want to help you find the most personalized products to help you find your favorite hair routine. We are here to help you create your routine with products with your name on them.
Complete our free and easy online consultation today, and we’ll help you discover which products would suit you best! We’ll ask you about the health of your hair and scalp, the treatments you currently use, your lifestyle habits, and your goals and preferences.
ONLY GOOD HAIR DAYS
What does your hair need to thrive? Take the consultation to find your formulas.